A PRAYER BEFORE BIRTH

The original poem titled "Prayer Before Birth" has been written by
 Louis MacNeice


I am not yet born; O listen me
Let not the black bear or the wicked wolf attack me
Let not the black waters roll me
Let not the sharp pointy rains fall in three.

I am not yet born; give solace to me
I shall have no brains to understand
What’s white, what’s black
And amidst all this, yet I fear
that people with plumpy face might attack

to tackle treasons, use the Union Jack.

I am not yet born; deprive me
of the stuttering rifle’s rapid rattle
of the secret convulsive sobs, remorsefulness
and  all those which will hurdle my battle.

I am not yet born; protect me
from the tall rising vultures
from the rivers of concrete
the spurious and malleable
that everyone would preach.

I am not yet born; understand me
for I would not be responsible
for the millions of death caused by me
for those who are killed in an instant
as if pressed by a Gargantua’s  feat

I am not yet born; provide me
with crowd  to listen me
with power to portray my inner gracious part
with knowledge to stop the bad
with strength to break the wall apart.

I am not yet born; O listen me
make me not the weapon
in hands of others
otherwise kill me.

Comments